NSCA Question and Hardware utilization question.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 31 00:45:10 CEST 2007

3753 at 5 min running nsca as a daemon. No problems at all.

> I am using xinetd which seems to panic at this volume and shut itself
> down.

Anything interesting logged? That's only about 10 requests/sec on
average. Hardly seems worth getting panic-y about...

> At 2200 service checks i did not have issues with xinetd.

Hints towards an xinetd cps issue.

> How many service checks are people doing in their environments and
then
> submiting with nsca and how many checks are people doing from one
server?

My heaviest loaded data collector is running about 980 checks/5 min but
that's going to double in the next month or so. It's also running
Cricket updating just over 12,000 RRD files every 5 minutes as well.
Average CPU utilization is just around 8% so plenty of room for growth.
2x dual core AMD 275, 2GB RAM. Mostly check_icmp checks.

Scaling issues WRT passive checks are mostly related to nagios reading
the external command pipe fast enough. That limitation starts cropping
up with multiple 10's of thousands of checks at 5 min from what I've
heard. I know I've seen documentation that upcoming versions of
Nagios/NSCA specifically addresses this by allowing you to create files
with the external results that nagios will read in then wipe but I can't
seem to put my hands on that right now.

--
Marc