Regex Services?

Kerry Milestone Kerry.Milestone at CacheLogic.com
Tue Jul 31 00:26:20 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to build a services.cfg using regular expressions.  I have
enabled the regex options within nagios.cfg

The string I am trying is the following:
^(host|gost)\d{1,2}\.\w+\.$

and I have checked my regular expressions with:
echo 'host1.public.going' | perl -ne 'print if
/^(host|gost)\d{1,2}\.\w+\.going$/'
echo 'gost32.private.going' | perl -ne 'print if
/^(host|gost)\d{1,2}\.\w+\.going$/'

yet, I always get when running nagios -v nagios.cfg:
Error: Could not find any host matching '^(host|gost)\d{1'
Error: Could not expand hostgroups and/or hosts specified in service
(config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg', starting on line

I've tried various other ways of it, and one thing I seem to have
noticed is that Nagios seems to parse only square brackets in an
expression.  I have compiled a version of the binary with the embedded
perl, but this did not help.  I have tried posix expressons too, but not
much luck either.

Has anyone one else had some luck with regular expressions within the
services.cfg file?  I have a bunch of hosts all running identical services.

I am running Nagios 2.9, both on a Linux platform and FreeBSD.

Many thanks,
Kerry.

--
Kerry Milestone