check_mx plugin?

Rogelio Bastardo scubacuda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 19:25:09 CEST 2007

william(at)elan.net wrote:

> You can take a look at below plugin and further rework if you know perl:
>  http://www.elan.net/~william/nagios/plugins/check_dnsname.pl
> this would require new loop to get mx list, check each name and make
> specified name/address matches addresses of at one of the names on
> mx list as well as specialized test to make sure its not primary MX
> when all is done; this really is all pretty easy with just basic
> knowledge of perl and documentation for Net:DNS is all online.

Very cool, thank you, William. I don't know Perl, but this looks like
the perfect opportunity to learn.

> As this is commercial service you're planning I gather and its
> too specialized a request, I'd not do it free as new additional
> feature but you can hire me if you really really want it (would
> cost $150-$200 i.e. 1-2 hours of my time).

No, not a commercial service, a free service I only offer to certain
qualifying nonprofits (i.e. any nonprofit I deem as (a) "cool", (b) not
too clingy on my free services).  I already provide them Mailman
listserv services, jabber services, domain parking, and unlimited email
forwarding (to say a gmail account or something).  (I'd provide the
hosting, but I don't want to have to deal with the support issues).

I'd like to provide them a backup when, say, their Small Business Server
2003 box goes down (which it will), and then provide them some sort of
email "scrubbing" (e.g. only accept known good AD email addresses,
filter for viruses, tag spam) while they're down.  But I do *not* want
to be the primary MX and have to deal with their support issues (as I'm
doing this for free).