Netsaint monitoring windows issue

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Jul 27 19:54:08 CEST 2007

On 27/07/07, Anthony Montibello <amontibello at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone ever responded to this

I don't recall seeing it either, but now you come to mention it there
is sometimes a problem if the Windows server is running MS-Exchange
server which also sometimes uses port 1248.  Using NC_Net, I often
configure it to use a higher port number to avoid that problem.  I
notice that NSClient++ uses port 12489 for the same reason.

I don't want to get in to an argument about whether NC_Net is better
than NSClient++, but my advice would be to use port 12489 whether
you're using NSClient, NC_Net or NSClient++ then you can pick
whichever client is best for whatever you need without needing to
redefine your commands to use different port numbers.  I use a mixture
of all three at the moment for various reasons, and use ports 1248,
3789 and 12489 depending on when I installed the client!  One day,
I'll get around to moving everything to 12489 which will make my
service and command config files somewhat tidier.

hth,

Jim