libgd problems

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 24 16:45:02 CEST 2007

Did you see/follow these directions from ./configure, particularly the
second NOTE. If that doesn't work and you have the devel include files
installed, try passing /usr/local to --with-gd-lib and with-gd-inc. --

"*** GD, PNG, and/or JPEG libraries could not be located... *********

Boutell's GD library is required to compile the statusmap, trends
and histogram CGIs.  Get it from http://www.boutell.com/gd/, compile
it, and use the --with-gd-lib and --with-gd-inc arguments to specify
the locations of the GD library and include files.

NOTE: In addition to the gd-devel library, you'll also need to make
      sure you have the png-devel and jpeg-devel libraries installed
      on your system.

NOTE: After you install the necessary libraries on your system:
      1. Make sure /etc/ld.so.conf has an entry for the directory in
         which the GD, PNG, and JPEG libraries are installed.
      2. Run 'ldconfig' to update the run-time linker options.
      3. Run 'make clean' in the Nagios distribution to clean out
         any old references to your previous compile.
      4. Rerun the configure script.

NOTE: If you can't get the configure script to recognize the GD libs
      on your system, get over it and move on to other things.  The
      CGIs that use the GD libs are just a small part of the entire
      Nagios package.  Get everything else working first and then
      revisit the problem.  Make sure to check the nagios-users
      mailing list archives for possible solutions to GD library
      problems when you resume your troubleshooting.