Services dependences

Mark Wagner markwag at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 21 01:45:23 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 04:30:07PM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Message: 19
> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:01:39 +0200
> From: shacky <shacky83 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Services dependences
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm using NRPE to monitor services on the remote servers.
> I wish to make the checks made by NRPE dependent with the NRPE service
> itself.
> I create a service to check the availability of the NRPE daemon on the
> remote host:
>
> define service{
>         use                     remote-service
>         host_name               bakserver.blupixel.local
>         service_description     NRPE
>         check_command           check_tcp!5666
>         }
>
> Now I wish to specify the dependency for all the checks made by NRPE, so if
> the NRPE daemon isn't available on the remote host, these checks will not
> executed at all (and the related notifications are not sent).
> I read on the Nagios documentation that this could be done with the
> following configuration:
>
> define service{
>         use                     remote-service
>         host_name               bakserver.blupixel.local
>         service_description     NRPE
>         check_command           check_tcp!5666
>         dependent_service_description
> nrpeservice1,nrpeservice2,nrpeservice3,nrpeservice4
>         execution_failure_criteria     w,c
>         }
>
> With this configuration, if the NRPE service is on warning or critical, the
> services "nrpeservice1, nrpeservice2, nrpeservice3, nrpeservice4" are not
> checked and their problems are not notificated.
> This is ok, but I wish to make a "vice versa" configuration.
> I wish to specify the dependence between the "NRPE" service and the
> "nrpeserviceX" in the "nrpeserviceX" stanzas, not in the "NRPE" service one.
> This because it will more fast to add new services, without modify the
> "NRPE" stanza.
>
> How can I do this?

I won't answer this question but rather point out that once you go
to hostgroups the service dependency system of Nagios 2.x doesn't
work well because the dependencies are not 1 to 1 but rather all
to all.

For hosts that use NRPE I have created a check-host-alive command
that checks nrpe rather than just ping.

--
Mark Wagner <markwag at u.washington.edu>
System Administrator, UW Medicine IT Services