Services dependences

shacky shacky83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:01:39 CEST 2007

Hi.

I'm using NRPE to monitor services on the remote servers.
I wish to make the checks made by NRPE dependent with the NRPE service
itself.
I create a service to check the availability of the NRPE daemon on the
remote host:

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        host_name               bakserver.blupixel.local
        service_description     NRPE
        check_command           check_tcp!5666
        }

Now I wish to specify the dependency for all the checks made by NRPE, so if
the NRPE daemon isn't available on the remote host, these checks will not
executed at all (and the related notifications are not sent).
I read on the Nagios documentation that this could be done with the
following configuration:

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        host_name               bakserver.blupixel.local
        service_description     NRPE
        check_command           check_tcp!5666
        dependent_service_description
nrpeservice1,nrpeservice2,nrpeservice3,nrpeservice4
        execution_failure_criteria     w,c
        }

With this configuration, if the NRPE service is on warning or critical, the
services "nrpeservice1, nrpeservice2, nrpeservice3, nrpeservice4" are not
checked and their problems are not notificated.
This is ok, but I wish to make a "vice versa" configuration.
I wish to specify the dependence between the "NRPE" service and the
"nrpeserviceX" in the "nrpeserviceX" stanzas, not in the "NRPE" service one.
This because it will more fast to add new services, without modify the
"NRPE" stanza.

How can I do this?

Thank you very much!
Bye.