NRPE (No output returned from plugin)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 20 18:51:53 CEST 2007

<snip>
> Yes, I setted up the command definition for check_nrpe on the Nagios
> server as the following:
>
> define command{
>         command_name    check_nrpe
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
-a
> $ARG2$
>         }
> define service{
>         use                     remote-service
>         host_name               my.remote.server
>         service_description     SMART
>         check_command           check_nrpe!check_smart_attributes
>         }
>
> If I test the command logged on as nagios on the Nagios server it
works:

> nagiosserver:/home/me$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> backuppc.foobar.local -c check_backuppc
> BACKUPPC WARNING - (4/7) failures
> nagiosserver:/home/me$
>
> As you can see, it works, but it doesn't works from Nagios itself.

Well, that's not what nagios is executing. Your command_line specifies
'-a $ARG2$'. You do not pass an $ARG2$ to the command however so what
nagios is really executing is --

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H backuppc.foobar.local -c
check_backuppc -a

Does _that_ work? I expect that it will fail spectacularly.

--
Marc