NRPE (No output returned from plugin)

shacky shacky83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 18:22:50 CEST 2007

2007/7/20, Aidan Anderson <mail at aidananderson.co.uk>:

> Have you set up the command definition correctly in commands.cfg or
> wherever you store your commands on your Nagios server.  Also check that
> Nagios has permission to execute the pluggin on the remote machine.
> Test by re-trying your check_nrpe command logged on as nagios.

Yes, I setted up the command definition for check_nrpe on the Nagios server
as the following:

define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a
$ARG2$
        }

The command in the host configuration on the Nagios server is confgured as
the following:

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        host_name               my.remote.server
        service_description     SMART
        check_command           check_nrpe!check_smart_attributes
        }

If I test the command logged on as nagios on the Nagios server it works:

nagiosserver:/home/me# su nagios
nagiosserver:/home/me$ whoami
nagios
nagiosserver:/home/me$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
backuppc.foobar.local -c check_backuppc
BACKUPPC WARNING - (4/7) failures
nagiosserver:/home/me$

As you can see, it works, but it doesn't works from Nagios itself.

Bye!