Simple Host Monitoring - ICMP

Sean Keplinger skeplin at one.net
Wed Jul 18 15:43:57 CEST 2007

I have Nagios running on Linux monitoring around 500 hosts on our network.
For most of those hosts, we only need to know if they respond to a ping.
Since I've read that enabling "active host checks" may cause performance
problems, I made an "ICMP" service and assigned each server to it.

This works great save for one problem: If a host fails to respond to the
ICMP service check, it instantly jumps to the host check (which is also a
ping) and times out after 1 1/2 minutes (or 10 host check pings with 10
second timeouts).

What I need is for it to behave like a standard service check, that is to
obey by the rules of the retry_interval. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sean
--
Sean Keplinger
LAN/Windows/Unix Analyst - Western & Southern Financial Group