domain hijacking: using Nagios to monitor 100s(possibly 1000s) of domains / hosts

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 10 23:22:14 CEST 2007

I don't see why it would be a problem. What nameserver are you going to
be testing? -A indicates that you'll be checking the nameserver hosting
the domain. That won't tell you if your domain has been hijacked though.
The DNS server hosting the domain will always answer that it is
authoritative, no matter if the rest of the Internet thinks it is or
not. Any other nameserver you test will fail since you're requiring
Authority. If you're going to test a recursive nameserver, use -a
instead.

Presumably you're more interested in the nameservers that the rest of
the world thinks are authoritative. You'd probably want to use check_dig
against a recursive nameserver (or the root servers) to verify that the
NS records they're reporting are accurate. Something like

check_dig -T ns -H recursiveserver.yourdomain.foo -l yourdomain.foo -a
nameserver.yourdomain.foo

You should, of course, perform any research necessary to determine if
the above tests against the nameservers (particularly the root
nameservers) are prohibited before implementing it.

--
Marc