Nagios solution

Rev. Dr. Aaron M. Segura aaron.segura at cabelas.com
Fri Jul 6 21:40:17 CEST 2007

You could make the host check a 'ping' (not active), and assign a single
(active) 'ping' service to each host.  That way when the service fails,
the host is checked, and then the status of the host will change.

Kinda redundant, but it'll work.  I'm sure someone like Hugo or Marc
will come up with something that'll blow our collective minds right
after I click 'send'.