Nagios solution

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Jul 6 21:38:43 CEST 2007

On 06/07/07, bolovan bogdan <bogdan.bolo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am in a dillema , I have to monitor a massive network of vpn hosts, ( most
> of them Cisco CPE routers ) , and all I really need is  availability
> polling.
> The problem is that active host checking became really sluggish after 500
> hosts testing.

re-enable active checks for the hosts, but use check_icmp or
check_fping for the active host check (and for the ping service check
for that matter).  I believe the host will only change state if the
host check fails - if you've disabled active host checks then that
will never happen.

The problem with the default check_ping is that it takes too long to
run, and host checks can't be run in parallel (not until version 3
Nagios anyway).  check_fping or check_icmp typically take a lot less
time to run than check_ping which won't finish until all of the pings
at 1-second intervals have been executed.

I'd also recommend making sure you set up your parent relationships if
you haven't already.  I'm not sure if it would help performance, but
it's worth doing anyway :)

hth,

Jim