nagios vs ganglia

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Thu Jul 5 00:32:14 CEST 2007

howard chen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am comparing these two monitoring systems.
>
> My findings is: nagios provides more features than ganglia, but I know
> many people use them together.
>
> I don't why, is that some features is missing from nagios?

>From reading the doco:
ganglia: more or less zero configuration,
         default checks geared towards clusters/grids.
nagios:  vast configuration options,
         create your own checks in addition to the default set.

Deploying a cluster monitoring solution is far less work with
ganglia. However, adding your own checks seems to require that
you fiddle with the C code yourself.

Or something to that effect.

/Lars