NRPE in FreeBSD jail

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sat Jan 27 23:18:05 CET 2007

On 27 Jan 2007 at 22:07, Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:

> I've been struggling with this for the last 2 hours and I cannot work
> out where it's going wrong.
> I have a Nagios 2.7 server talking to an NRPE 2.6 client.
>
> The Nagios 2.7 server is running FreeBSD as does the NRPE client -
> however the NRPE client is being run in a FreeBSD jail (this is a hosted
> system which I have no control of outside of the jail.)
> I'm hoping I've simply missed something simple.
>
> When I run from the console of the NRPE client, as the Nagios user:
>
> $ /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_swap -w 25% -c 10%
> SWAP OK - 91% free (7442 MB out of 8192 MB) |swap=7442MB;2048;819;0;8192
> $

You are you issuing

> When I run the check from the Nagios server:
>
> sudo -u nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> mackay.mailnetwork.co.uk -c check_swap
> NRPE: Unable to read output
>
> If I try an invalid command:
>
> sudo -u nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> mackay.mailnetwork.co.uk -c check_swapNOTEXIST
> NRPE: Command 'check_swapNOTEXIST' not defined
>
> So, as you can see, it is reaching NRPE fine (and I presume the SSL is
> working correctly.)
> I've tried starting up NRPE without SSL (-n), and ditto on the Nagios
> server - still the same error.
> I've also tried setting allow_weak_random_seed=1, same error.
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with NRPE not sending the output
> data from the plugin to the correct stream, and as I don't know much
> about FreeBSD jails, I don't know whether stdin/out works as normal.
>
> As you can see, I've also set debug=1, but don't get anything in my log
> files other than "daemon starting up."
>
> Is anyone else running NRPE inside a jail?  Or can point out something
> obvious I'm missing!?  Or how to get more debug info?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy.
>
> ---
>
> My nrpe.cfg file:
>
> pid_file=/var/run/nrpe.pid
> server_port=5666
> #server_address=192.168.1.1
> nrpe_user=nagios
> nrpe_group=localservice
> #allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1,10.100.9.201

Why commented out?

> dont_blame_nrpe=0
> command_prefix=/usr/local/bin/sudo
> debug=1
> command_timeout=60
> connection_timeout=300
> #allow_weak_random_seed=1
>
> command[check_swap]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_swap -w 25% -c 10%

You issued an sudo above, yet the command here does not use sudo.

I've seen this error before, and recently.  Usually it was a
permissions issue.  For some readon nrpe is unable to execute the
command.  Perhaps it is this sudo issue.

A side note: sometimes it helps to add wrapper function.  All the
wrapper function does it a cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec and then runs
the command you would normally specify in nrpe.cfg

hth

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php