NRPE in FreeBSD jail

Sat Jan 27 23:07:38 CET 2007

I've been struggling with this for the last 2 hours and I cannot work
out where it's going wrong.
I have a Nagios 2.7 server talking to an NRPE 2.6 client.

The Nagios 2.7 server is running FreeBSD as does the NRPE client -
however the NRPE client is being run in a FreeBSD jail (this is a hosted
system which I have no control of outside of the jail.)
I'm hoping I've simply missed something simple.

When I run from the console of the NRPE client, as the Nagios user:

$ /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_swap -w 25% -c 10%
SWAP OK - 91% free (7442 MB out of 8192 MB) |swap=7442MB;2048;819;0;8192
$

When I run the check from the Nagios server:

sudo -u nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
mackay.mailnetwork.co.uk -c check_swap
NRPE: Unable to read output

If I try an invalid command:

sudo -u nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
mackay.mailnetwork.co.uk -c check_swapNOTEXIST
NRPE: Command 'check_swapNOTEXIST' not defined

So, as you can see, it is reaching NRPE fine (and I presume the SSL is
working correctly.)
I've tried starting up NRPE without SSL (-n), and ditto on the Nagios
server - still the same error.
I've also tried setting allow_weak_random_seed=1, same error.

I'm guessing it has something to do with NRPE not sending the output
data from the plugin to the correct stream, and as I don't know much
about FreeBSD jails, I don't know whether stdin/out works as normal.

As you can see, I've also set debug=1, but don't get anything in my log
files other than "daemon starting up."

Is anyone else running NRPE inside a jail?  Or can point out something
obvious I'm missing!?  Or how to get more debug info?

Thanks

Andy.

---

My nrpe.cfg file:

pid_file=/var/run/nrpe.pid
server_port=5666
#server_address=192.168.1.1
nrpe_user=nagios
nrpe_group=localservice
#allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1,10.100.9.201
dont_blame_nrpe=0
command_prefix=/usr/local/bin/sudo
debug=1
command_timeout=60
connection_timeout=300
#allow_weak_random_seed=1

command[check_swap]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_swap -w 25% -c 10%