FW: Memory leaks

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 17:17:29 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users On Behalf Of Tobias Klausmann
Sent: 23 January 2007 15:32

> Nagios 2.6 and 2.5 have memory leaks. They are not that big that
> within hours your machine will be swapping, but they degrade
> performance in other ways.

I have also had problems with memory leaks, such that the kernel
(2.6.0-42.0.3) reaches the stage of killing processes to try to preserve
the system.  In my experience the first processes killed are nagios and
nsca.  Our configuration is relatively large with just under 16,000
services and 750 hosts.  As a consequence we run two slave servers which
run the checks and report to the master; on the master all checks are
passive except local checks.  We have only seen the out of memory
problems on the master.  I had thought that the problems were caused by
NagiosGrapher which we were running, but were not using; certainly the
problem was reduced by removing that process from the mix.  For us the
problem seems to start (according to the message log) at about 4:45 in
the morning, so perhaps there is another factor as well (cron jobs ?).
Any input would be welcome, though I will continue to investigate as I
have time.

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory