Completely stumped

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Thu Jan 18 16:12:28 CET 2007

Hi!

The other day, we got our beefier machine. I had hoped my latency
problems (ever increasing check latencies) would go away or at
least turn irrelevant with that. They didn't.

More precisely: we have migrated to a four-core Opteron 2.2GHz
with 2GBs of RAM and a quite fast I/O Subsystem.

We have 331 / 2940 hosts/services which are all checked actively.

Still, after less than an hour, our check latency skyrockets well
over 120s. Unacceptable.

I've tested a whole slew of stuff in order to find out what the
hell is wrong. I've played with concurrency settings and just
about any performance tip save distributing the setup.

Nothing worked.

Not a single metric on the machine itself (interrupt rate,
context switches or anything else the *stat utilities show me)
tells me it's the machine's fault.

I'm out of ideas (and to be frank, a bit desperate).

What the hell can I do?

The *only* thing I've left to try is removing the multiuser patch
we talked about at the end of last year. If that does it, at
least I have an idea *where* in the code my problem lies. I'll
try that route tonight.

Until then, I'm happy to hear your theories.

Regards,
Tobias
(exhausted)

--