Nagios Timezone

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Jan 9 01:04:23 CET 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Sounds to me /var/www is the domain for apache. So if anyone should
> link
> it then it would be part of the chrooted apache.
>
> But considering one might run servers for different timezones on 1
> system
> it is propably left to the admin on purpose. (Today Alaska, tommorow
> Japan? ;-)
>
> Hugo.

hmm...Japan....Nah, I'll stick to Alaska :) Anyway, yeah, /var/www is
the "root" for Apache. The issue, however, appears to lie not with
Apache specifically, but with Nagios. The timestamps that Apache puts
in its log files show the correct timezone, so the server itself is
seeing the correct timezone. On the other hand, I suspect that unless
Nagios is doing something weird (which, from what I have been told,
it isn't) any other CGI that attempted to get the time would have the
same issue. So who's fault is it really? In my opinion, I would think
that since the Nagios CGI's need the file to display the time
correctly, it should have been linked/copied by the Nagios installer.
By default, Apache would have no need for this file, so I can
understand the Apache install not doing it. I suppose there might be
SOME reason that the Nagios package maintainer decided not to link or
copy this file by default, but such a reason eludes me.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service INC.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd