Notification for change in critical state

チャンドラ mchandler at star.fielding.nec.co.jp
Thu Jan 4 07:41:47 CET 2007

Hi,

I am running nagios 2.5, monitoring a network that has many devices with
 multiple IPs (ie. routers).
Currently I have each IP registered as a separate host, which works
well, but is a pain to manage.
What I want to do is set up a multi-ping service that will ping all the
IPs and generate a critical state if one of the IPs does not respond.
The problem is that, for example, one IP goes down and a notification is
sent out, there doesn't seem to be a way to force a notification to be
sent if another IP goes down, as the service is already in a hard
critical state.
I thought about generating an external command from the check script,
but the list of external commands
(http://nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandlist.php)
doesn't list one that I could see helping...(like maybe one to force the
state type back to soft or something). Setting the notification number
to 0 didn't do the trick (see SET_SVC_NOTIFICATION_NUMBER).

Is such a scenario possible? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any help,
Martin