Nagios Timezone

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Mon Jan 8 20:31:17 CET 2007

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Darren Dunham wrote:
>
> >> Also notice that unless the TZ variable is set in the
> one-liner containing
> >> the call to start Nagios it may have no effect whatsoever.
> >>
> >> $ TZ=America/Anchorage date
> >> Sat Jan  6 00:21:33 AKST 2007
> >>
> >> $ TZ=America/Anchorage
> >> $ date
> >> Sat Jan  6 10:27:35 CET 2007
> >
> > All the one above does is set a shell variable.  Just like any other
> > environment variable you really need to make sure it's
> exported before
> > trying to use it.
> >
> > $ TZ=America/Anchorage
> > $ date           # TZ not exported yet
> > Mon Jan  8 07:48:52 PST 2007
> > $ export TZ      # Now it's visible in the environment
> > $ date
> > Mon Jan  8 06:48:57 AKST 2007
>
> I know that. But exporting a variable means it will be there for any
> follow-up command as well. And there are some cases where
> that is not what
> one wants.
>
> Hugo.

I'm jumping into this a little late, so pardon if this has been
mentioned already.
It may be easier to set the timezone for the entire OS rather than just
individual environments.

In Redhat-based systems, the system timezone file is called
"/etc/localtime".  This file is either a symlink or
a copy of the proper timezone file, located in "/usr/share/zoneinfo/".
To set "Ancorage time" as the local system time globally, do this:

   # cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Anchorage /etc/localtime

Other distributions follow similar convention, though file locations may
vary slightly.

-Tedman