check_mrtgtraf question

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Jan 8 18:30:21 CET 2007

Quick question- I currently use MRTG to monitor the traffic on a
number of my routers, and then use the check_mrtgtraf Nagios plug-in
to keep an eye on it. This plug-in has the dual benefit of watching
the traffic on the routers as well as alerting me if MRTG stops
functioning for some reason (by checking the age of the log files) I
have been considering switching MRTG over to a RRD logging format, so
I can use things like routers2 (http://www.steveshipway.org/software/
index2.html) as well as for performance (this whole setup is running
on a 300 MHZ box), but I suspect this would break the check_mrtgtraf
plug-in. Is this suspicion correct? I haven't been able to find any
documentation to confirm or refute my suspicion. If correct, what
other options might I have so as to not lose the monitoring
functionality of the check_mrtgtraf plug-in? Thanks!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service INC.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd