Service Alerts and Notifications

wnorth wnorth at verizon.net
Sun Jan 7 01:34:26 CET 2007

Some of the checks the check_http will be fine, since it is hitting a page
that accesses the DB layer, so it's a full check. Once we start talking
synthetic transaction monitoring, (e.g. trying to monitor what an end-user
is seeing in terms of query response times, page latency during a work-flow
process etc.) it kind of falls short. But for normal systems monitoring and
doing basic health checks, it is fantastic. You have to ask yourself, what
does one expect with a tool that is designed to be portable and modulated, a
bit of up-front leg work to get the desired outcome should be expected.
Tools like Mercury Topaz/Sitescope, Gomez or Micromuse Netcool allow you to
actually script out an end-to-end work flow process then measure performance
against say an SLA. For us we are looking at 2 tools, one for simple systems
and network management, which Nagios does an excellent job, and two
synthetic transaction monitoring, which one can still use Nagios, but has to
build a custom work-flow tool (e.g. script it out in Perl or build a simple
program that nagios can execute).

-Wes