parent/child setup not working

David Miller nagios at d.sparks.net
Fri Jan 5 22:59:15 CET 2007

Hi;

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Running nagios 2.5 on debian-stable.  I have the nagios server in one
data center monitoring 30ish servers in another data center.

In the hosts.cfg file I have a gateway (firewall) defined:

define host {
        use                     generic-host    ; Name of host template
to use
        host_name               pix
        alias                   PIX
        address                 x.y.z.2
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      1
        notification_interval   1
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

I then use that as a parent to all the hosts I want to monitor in the
remote data center.  Those have host entries like this;

define host {
        use                     generic-host    ; Name of host template
to use
        host_name               logweb1
        alias                   Logweb1
        address                 logweb1.foo.com
        parents                 pix
        max_check_attempts      1
        active_checks_enabled   0
        notification_interval   1
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        }

As I read the documentation, when nagios detects that host "pix" is down
that it won't check or report on host logweb1.

If the network connection is broken, however, by deleting the default
route, I get three messages that the pix is down that look like this: