Unsatisfied symbol when compiling on hp 11.23 itanium

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Thu Jan 4 19:05:44 CET 2007

I have had the same difficulties myself and am hoping for a good answer.
I get this issue with NRPE 2.5 and 2.6.  I can't figure out what
happened here, but it looks like HPUX built a library (librwap.so) with
unresolved symbols.

I've found that I can usually get it to compile if I make it exclude the
librwap stuff.  To remove it, you'll need to run configure, then

- edit include/config.h and change

    #define HAVE_LIBWRAP 1

    #undef HAVE_LIBWRAP

- edit src/Makefile and change

    LIBWRAPLIBS= -lwrap

    LIBWRAPLIBS=

This at least gets it to compile, although it then complains that it was
built without a TCP wrapper every time you try to run it which is also
problematic.  I'm still not certain how well it works once it compiles
though as I haven't had a lot of time to test it yet.

I had also investigated just building my own tcp wrapper library to link
against, but that code looks pretty old and is more of a mess to make
work with HPUX.

-Mark