Service depedency problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 3 11:42:28 CET 2007

MiikaT wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>:
>
>> Because you have 'u' (notify when unreachable) in your
>> host_notification_options.
>
> I suppose there is a slight misunderstanding here, as I am very happy with the
> current host_notification situation (either parent or dependencies).
>
>> I suggest not using dependencies at all, but instead using the "parents"
>> directive and removing 'u' from your host_notification_options. I also
>> suggest reading the documentation regarding parents,
>> host_notification_options and notification logic.
>>
>> Dependencies can be a fine thing for services. It's almost always the
>> wrong thing to use for hosts.
>
> The real problem is WITH services, if a parent host ping, for example, is
> critical, I get service alert for hosts that behind the parent host. But if
> the parent host is down, no alerts are sent for hosts behind the parent (works
> like a charm).

This is by design. It's perfectly OK for a parent to have non-OK
services and then move on to check its children.

> To rephrase the original issue, how should I change the dependencies.cfg, if I
> really don't want to get any service alerts for dependedent services, if all
> services rely on the ping status of a parent host PING service?

I believe that *isn't* the original issue though. Your question would
probably be better phrased as "how do I stop nagios sending service
checks for services behind a parent host that is responding too slowly
to its PING service check?".

A much simpler solution than mucking with dependencies (which are
difficult to set up and quickly gets unwieldy in my experience) is to
use the same checkcommand for checking the host as you use for the PING
service check.

The answer to the question you posted can be found in the manual. Check
under object configuration -> service dependencies.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se