Using Nagios to restart a Power Strip, Switch, Router, etc. via SNMP

Trevor Warren trevorwarren at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 04:30:38 CET 2007

Ofcourse it is....while the consequence sound a little scary too. Think
about it.....ur intention is to have nagios trigger an request if a
condition is met.

> The intention can be satisfied over SNMP
> With the trigger being called when a plugin check is performed

 Nagios per say may not be equipped with the capability to perform a whole
lot of business process checks towards concluding whether the applications
really down. It will be able to ping for resources using standard/custom
plugins and verify the availability/lack of it using its existing framework.

  Hence...while you due to lack of accessibility to a switch for some reason
your plugin may decide based on your coded business rules that its
unreachable and send an snmp request to reset the device. In turn what you
have actually done is...during a moment of large n/w traffic not been able
to reach the switch and as a result sent a request to reset the switch which
i would recieve and probable reset it once the instantaenous peak is done
with.

  Am unsure if i have been able to relate to you in the right manner. But
since nagios doesnt have a rule engine it might be best to let nagios do
what it does best and have it integrate with a rule engine which takes care
of all of your other misc requests over snmp.

 Hope this helped.

Thanks and Regards
Trevor

On 2/22/07, patrickm <patrickm at garlic.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been scouring Google all day long and I can't seem to find anything
> regarding Nagios being able to reboot switches, routers, or power strips via
> SNMP.  We have some HP Procurve Switches, Some Cisco 7200 Routers, and some
> APC Power strips, all being monitored via SNMP already and via Nagios, but
> it would be great if we could reboot these devices (or sections of the power
> strip by outlet) using SNMP write permissions.
>
> Is this possible?

> reporting any issue.

         ___________________________________
( >-   /  Scaling FreeSoftware & OpenSource        \   -< )
/~\   /                   In the Enterprise                       \   /~\
|  \) \      | www.fsf.org | www.opensource.org |         /  (/ |

An eye for an eye will soon turn the world blind - MKG

"You cannot see me, yet I am the light you see by. You cannot hear me, yet I
speak through your voice. You cannot feel me, yet I am the power at work in
your hands. I am at work, though you do not understand my ways. I am not
strange visions. I am not mysteries.
Only in absolute stillness, beyond self, can you know me as I am, and then
but as a feeling and a faith. Yet I am here. Yet I hear. Yet I answer. -anon
"