NRPE unable to read output

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 21 14:04:01 CET 2007

Hi,
   I'm using NRPE to execute checks on remote hosts and am have problems
with one plugin on just one machine. I have the plugin in the
configuration of nrpe and execute

/usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H hostname -c check_plugin
NRPE: Unable to read output

The definition of the command call in nrpe.cfg is as follows:

command[check_plugin]=sudo /etc/nagios/check_plugin

and I have the following line in /etc/sudoers:

nagios  ALL=(ALL)  NOPASSWD: /etc/nagios/check_plugin

NRPE is running as the nagios user. When logged in as root I can do

su - nagios
sudo /etc/nagios/check_plugin
OK: test passed

so I don't understand why it is saying no output.

I tried changing the nrpe.cfg to have > /tmp/output.log 2>&1 at the end
of it but the file /tmp/output.log was not created so I assume that
there really was no output when run from the check_nrpe command.
This works on all my other servers (most of which are Gentoo) and this
one is RHEL4. SELinux is disabled. I can execute all other nrpe checks
correctly on this server including another one which also uses sudo.
The difference in Distro is the only thing I can think of but it even
works from the command line. I am using nrpe 2.6.

I have racked my brains but can't think of anything else.

Any ideas on this?

-h

--
Hari Sekhon