Sending a txt message as acknowledgement for event

Az az at whoever.org
Wed Feb 21 11:11:47 CET 2007

patrickm wrote:
> Is it possible to reply to a txt message that is sent from the nagios server as acknowledgement when an event occurs, like an unreachable server or other events?
The short answer is, yes.

The long answer is, it depends on how you sent the SMS in the first
place. If you are using some cheapy internet-based solution, then I
doubt they have any return path feature. If you are sending via GSM
modems, then yes. We do this now and have been for 2 years. If you have
a direct link into a carriers' SMSC, then it will depend on their
solution. We are looking to move this way in the near future, and our
carrier has a return path solution.

The guts of the solution is just code that parses the SMS back and hands
it off to Nagios using the external command features. In our case, we
reply/forward the entire SMS as-is back to sending device, which can
easily parse the SMS given we know the exact format it left in anyhow.
Plus, the same system handles other inbound and outbound SMSs with ease.