Quick Question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 15 18:44:16 CET 2007

performance...),
> but when nagios detects that a host has entered a problem state, how
often
> does it retry the host check between each check attempt.

Immediately after the previous attempt, up to max_check_attempts. There
is no significant delay between checks.

> Currently I am running Nagios 2.5 on CentOS 4.4
>
> For my real-world issue, I have some nortel VPN's that seem somewhat
slow
> to re-negotiate their connections. I currently have all hosts using a
> template that has 5 max check attempts. It seems that the only way to
> delay a Hard-Down notification for these VPN's would be to increase
the
> max-check attempts for these hosts. The only problem is that I have no
way
> of correlating the retry check interval with max check attempts to
> determine my "acceptable" detected downtime for these hosts before
issuing
> notifications.

Escalations might be useful here. If the host has been down for some
amount of time an escalated notification could be sent out. You probably
don't want to just increase max_check_attempts as that's only preventing
nagios from doing other things for a longer time.

> The other option would be to remove the host-check command for these
VPN's
> and just alert on a service for check_icmp that is configured the way
> want it.

That's what we do.

--
Marc