Quick Question

Doug Woodgate douglas.woodgate at bpc.com
Thu Feb 15 18:13:11 CET 2007

I have been working with nagios for a few years now, but I have never
really understood how Nagios decides to retry host checks. I understand
that service checks have a check and retry interval and you can hard
code a check interval for host checks(if you want to kill your
performance...), but when nagios detects that a host has entered a
problem state, how often does it retry the host check between each check
attempt.

Currently I am running Nagios 2.5 on CentOS 4.4

For my real-world issue, I have some nortel VPN's that seem somewhat
slow to re-negotiate their connections. I currently have all hosts using
a template that has 5 max check attempts. It seems that the only way to
delay a Hard-Down notification for these VPN's would be to increase the
max-check attempts for these hosts. The only problem is that I have no
way of correlating the retry check interval with max check attempts to
determine my "acceptable" detected downtime for these hosts before
issuing notifications.

The other option would be to remove the host-check command for these
VPN's and just alert on a service for check_icmp that is configured the
way I want it.

-Doug