Reports using NDOutils?

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Wed Feb 14 20:26:37 CET 2007

I'm personally glad to hear that!

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 09:58 -0800, Trask wrote:
> Are there any projects, addons, or home-made scripts out there that
> people are using that pulls data from the NDO output and creates
> reports?  I've done a good bit of searching and haven't found
> anything, but it seems like such a logical thing to have that I figure
> someone has done this already.

I am waiting for same sort of thing as well. I am doing some researching
around NDOUtils too, 'cause I'll need Nagios to watch over Service Level
Agreement thresholds.

Also, it would be nice to have some way of telling the availability
report that if we have a cluster of servers (let's say, 12 machines),
and that cluster's service is Highly Available with at least 10 servers
up'n running, considering that SLB/CSM hardware don't reach MAXCONN and
we have sorry servers to take over when any other fails, the service
availability could be calculated considering that fact. Is it what
check_cluster* does? I mean, is it possible to have service availability
five nines, even when one or two servers get down, if we know that the
service weren't unavailable?

> I have a few related questions as well:
>
> 1) Do others have the same experience of not getting any reliable data
> back from the standard nagios reports if you do time periods greater
> than a week or so?  Ours will churn and churn for a few minutes and
> then just result in a blank page.

Also happening exactly like that here.

> 2) Is it crazy to think I can keep *all* the NDO data forever?  (~500
> hosts / 6000+ srvcs)

Well, considering that only state changes matters, it isn't that crazy.

> 3) Is it me, or does using rrdtool to keep and graph nagios data seem
> non-optimal given that (at least now) all that data can be had in a
> standard relational database and kept around for as long as you like?

You mean NagiosGrapher, n2rrd, or other graphing tools out there?

Well, it is valuable for the sake of trending and estimating capacity,
to have those graphs, but not all services should be graphed. IMHO,
cacti has been doing a great job graphing things, so Nagios is
exclusively running for alerts and notifications.

Cheers,
M.

AVISO: A informação contida neste e-mail, bem como em qualquer de seus anexos, é CONFIDENCIAL e destinada ao uso exclusivo do(s) destinatário(s) acima referido(s), podendo conter informações sigilosas e/ou legalmente protegidas. Caso você não seja o destinatário desta mensagem, informamos que qualquer divulgação, distribuição ou cópia deste e-mail e/ou de qualquer de seus anexos é absolutamente proibida. Solicitamos que o remetente seja comunicado imediatamente, respondendo esta mensagem, e que o original desta mensagem e de seus anexos, bem como toda e qualquer cópia e/ou impressão realizada a partir destes, sejam permanentemente apagados e/ou destruídos. Informações adicionais sobre nossa empresa podem ser obtidas no site http://sobre.uol.com.br/.

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto is CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for use by the recipient named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or secret information. If you are not the e-mail´s intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail, and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender replying to the above mentioned e-mail address, and permanently delete and/or destroy the original and any copy of this e-mail and/or its attachments, as well as any printout thereof. Additional information about our company may be obtained through the site http://www.uol.com.br/ir/.