New Hostgroup added and no email alerts for those hosts, old HG work fine

chris serafin chrisserafin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 03:49:35 CET 2007

I have a Nagios box running and alerting great. I just added a new Hostgroup
and the host/service I just added shows down in

Nagios (the service IS really down), but I dont get email alerts like I do
for the rest of the hosts that are in different

hostgroups. I can't figure out why this is not throwing email alerts like
all the others. The device is a Cisco ASA forewall,

but I'm starting with only simple pings, so the device should not matter.

chrisserafin at gmail.com

Configs below:

define service{
        name                            windows-service         ; The 'name'
of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           1                       ; Active
service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1                       ; Passive
service checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1                       ; Active
service checks should be parallelized (disabling

this can lead to major performance problems)
        obsess_over_service             1                       ; We should
obsess over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0                       ; Default is
to NOT check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1                       ; Service
notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1                       ; Service
event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1                       ; Flap
detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1                       ; Failure
prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1                       ; Process
performance data
        retain_status_information       1                       ; Retain
status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1                       ; Retain
non-status information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0                       ; The
service is not volatile
        register                        0                       ; DONT
REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE,

JUST A TEMPLATE!
        check_period                    24x7                    ; The
service can be checked at any time of the day
        max_check_attempts              4                       ; Re-check
the service up to 4 times in order to determine

its final (hard) state
        normal_check_interval           5                       ; Check the
service every 5 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval            1                       ; Re-check
the service every minute until a hard state can be

determined
        contact_groups                  admins                  ;
Notifications get sent out to everyone in the 'admins'

group
        notification_options            w,u,c,r                 ; Send
notifications about warning, unknown, critical, and

recovery events
        notification_interval           120                     ; Re-notify
about service problems every hour
        notification_period             24x7                    ;
Notifications can be sent out at any time
        }

----------------HOSTGROUP.CFG------------

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  XXX
        alias           XXX Enterprises Network
        members         XXX_Chicago_ASA
        }

----------------XXX_Chicago_ASA-----------

define host{
        use             windows-servers            ; Name of host template
to use
        host_name       XXX_Chicago_ASA
        alias           XXX_Chicago_ASA
        address         ???.217.120.10
        }

define service{
        use                     windows-service         ; Name of service
template to use
        host_name               XXX_Chicago_ASA
        service_description     PING
        check_command           check_ping!100.0,20%!300.0,60%
        }