Problem getting servicedependencies with servicegroups working

Tim Palmer tim at tany.com
Tue Dec 18 03:59:56 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to get service dependencies with service groups working and
not having any luck. The format given in the docs isn't working for me.
Am I just being stupid, or is there something else going on? I'll admit
to not having dived into the source, as reading source code isn't one of
my strong suits...

The intent is to have a bunch of services (same service on several
hosts) not be checked if the same service type on one host fails.
Service group membership is defined by "servicegroups" lines on the
specific service defs. The following servicedependany def is only one of
many I've tried. Every way I've tried fails nagios -v with:

Nagios 2.9
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 04-10-2007
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Could not expand dependent hostgroups and/or hosts specified in
service d
ependency (config file '/usr/local/etc/nagios/services.cfg', starting on
line 19
)

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
files...

     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
     directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
     the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed

#############################
# Service groups
#############################
define servicegroup{
        servicegroup_name       all-wan-ping
        alias   Pings for all WAN
        }

#############################
# Service Dependancies
#############################
define servicedependency{
       host_name                       host1
       service_description             PING
       dependent_servicegroup_name     all-wan-ping
       dependent_service_description   PING
       execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
       notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
       }