Host parenting and notification supression...

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Mon Dec 17 20:24:11 CET 2007

Hello folks!

We've made sure to set up the host parenting so that it correctly
reflects our network layout.  I was under the impression that, should
a link fail, nagios would automatically assume the hosts behind it
were unreachable and, thus, supress the extra (obvious?) notifications.

For example, I have a network like this:

			HOST 1  ---- NAGIOS_HOST
			   ^
			  / \
		HOST 2	-     - HOST 3
		   ^
		  / \
          HOST 4 -     - HOST 5

In the above diagram, if HOST 2 goes down, shouldn't the notifications
for HOST 4 and HOST 5 be suppressed, or if HOST 1 goes down, HOSTs
2-5?  If that's not the way it works, any idea on how to get this
behavior?  We have a large network and when a T1 or something goes
down, I'd like one notification: HEY! T1 is down, rather than 334 as I
did this past weekend for every host and service behind that T1.

Thanks for the pointers!
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks