Internal Server Errors on CGIs - not SELinux or authentication related

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Dec 10 00:12:18 CET 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 9:54 PM, <nag at studiovee.com.au>
<nag at studiovee.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Nagios by following the Quickstart Installation Guides
> (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart-fedora.html)
> which seems
> to go fine - I'm getting emails every hour reporting on low disk
> space. It
> seems that Nagios is running but I cannot access any of the CGIs in my
> browser. Authentication seems fine and the Apache error log is
> giving me
> "premature end of script headers". SELinux is and has always been
> disabled.

Apache should be logging the cause of the problem in it's error log.

> I would like to test the binaries from the command line, though I
> don't know
> how. I'm expecting I'll need to re-compile the binaries, though I
> don't know
> how to do this either.

You don't have to. Just run one of the CGI's from the command line and
it'll tell you what you need to do. I don't have 3.x installed but I
don't expect this behavior to have changed --

$ ~nagios/sbin/status.cgi
getcgivars(): Unsupported REQUEST_METHOD -> ''

I'm guessing you're trying to execute the CGI from a command line.
In order to do that, you need to set the REQUEST_METHOD environment
variable to either "GET", "HEAD", or "POST".  When using the
GET and HEAD methods, arguments can be passed to the CGI
by setting the "QUERY_STRING" environment variable.  If you're
using the POST method, data is read from standard input.  Also of
note: if you've enabled authentication in the CGIs, you must set the
"REMOTE_USER" environment variable to be the name of the user you're
"authenticated" as.

--
Marc