Unneeded alerts from Nagios

mark redding mwjredding at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:26:37 CET 2007

Hi,

> hi:
> I have a nagios 2.9 instance running on an ESX linux guest. The problem we
> are seeing is that whenever we lose and regain network connectivity to the
> host, nagios wrongly sends a bunch of server down and server up alerts for
> all the servers that nagios is monitoring.

Best if you have the entry 'parents' in the 'define host' definitions
that describes the path that nagios has to take in order to reach a
host.

So a crude example may be.

nagios server is housed in your office.
some web server are housed in a data centre.
you have a router in the office and one in the datacentre that provide a link.

So, web server parent is the datacentre router
the datacentre router parent is the office router
if the office or datacentre routers fails then nagios knows that it's
not going to be able to reach the web servers, and if you are
monitoring the routers then they should alert but the web servers
should not.

that's my understanding of how it should work (and is what I have
configured for my nagios system).
--
bright blessings,
Mark