Escalations Question

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Tue Dec 4 20:51:09 CET 2007

I have looked through the docs and the list and this seems right but I
would like some confirmation before I implement service and host
escalations. The situation is this: I have been tasked with getting a
single email to helpdesk (they do email to ticket) per Nagios alert and no
more. They don't want recovery or further notifications. This is the first
one I have written for a group of webservers:

define  serviceescalation {
        host_name plwsweb01,plwsweb02,plwsweb03,plwsweb05,plwsweb06
        service_description             Apache - Maximum Connections
Check,HTTP - Port 80 Check - Production Systems,Ping - Simple Ping Check -
Production
        contact_groups                  helpdesk,sysalertsinfra
        first_notification              1
        last_notification               1
        notification_interval           30
        }

According to my understanding, and I could be wrong, this will send the
first notification to groups (helpdesk and sysalertsinfra) and the rest,
if I define no further escalations, will go the default contact for that
group.

The other questions I have are:

1. Are the multiple services/hosts allowed here?
2. Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you all, in advance, for your time.

Best Regards,

Mark L. Potter
Systems Engineer
Academy Sports & Outdoors