Distributed config admin tool?

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Aug 31 10:09:34 CEST 2007

On 30 Aug 2007, at 22:55, Rob Brown wrote:

> Anyone using OpsView? (http://opsview.org/node/10) Sounds like it has
> this capability:
> "With Opsview, one of the big features is the simple distributed
> monitoring - you just select a drop down to associate a host with a
> slave server and then when you hit the Opsview reload button, all the
> Nagios configurations are generated as you'd expect (slaves
> monitoring, master with freshness checking, automatic distribution to
> slaves, synchronized reloading). It works amazingly well."

We wrote it, so we use it :)

We use scp to transfer the files across to slaves. The generated
config is different between master and slaves, so separate tarballs
are created. There's also a validation phase before we synchronise a
reload on all Nagios instances.

There's a little publicised feature where you can cluster your slaves
together, so at configuration generation time, it will split the
hosts between the clustered slaves for load balancing. if there's a
failure on one slave, the other slave will take over the active
checks. All for free!

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243