Distributed config admin tool?

Rob Brown dtownrobbrown at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:55:28 CEST 2007

Thanks, Bill. We currently use cfengine for other stuff in our
environment so I am pretty familiar with it. And while I agree it
could probably do the job, it would be quite complex to set up from
scratch. We actually already have a homegrown app we use to manage the
configs but it will need to be altered significantly to be multi-site
aware. I'd like to be able to add a host to the master site and
associate it with a remote site, having the tool spit out the config
with a passive check on the master and active on the remote server
avoiding duplication of effort.

Anyone using OpsView? (http://opsview.org/node/10) Sounds like it has
this capability:
"With Opsview, one of the big features is the simple distributed
monitoring - you just select a drop down to associate a host with a
slave server and then when you hit the Opsview reload button, all the
Nagios configurations are generated as you'd expect (slaves
monitoring, master with freshness checking, automatic distribution to
slaves, synchronized reloading). It works amazingly well."

Looks like i'll be checking out their vm appliance for some ideas.