"notification_interval" from the "serviceescalation" is ignored?

Richard Mohr rfmohr at osc.edu
Thu Aug 30 20:43:30 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 14:12 +0200, Ilya Ruprecht wrote:

> Furthermore, the "notification_interval" in the service-part is described as "Re-notify about service problems every XXX".
> Note: "about service problems".
> Now, if i set the notification_interval to a lower value then a "normal_check_interval", i.e. "9", i get following warning-message
> at nagios pre-flight-check:
[snip]
> But, hell, what the "normal_check_interval" have to do with "notification_interval"?!
> These two are completely different things! Or have i misunderstood something?

Perhaps this will help clear things up.  The "notification_interval"
option sets an upper limit on how often notifications are sent.  The
"normal_check_interval" options controls how often the check is run.

If notification_interval=10 and normal_check_interval=5, you can get a
situation like this one (I'll use t=XX to try and convey the timeline
when events occur).

[t=0] Check runs.
[t=0] Check fails.
[t=0] Nagios sends notification.
[t=5] Check runs
[t=5] Check fails
[t=5] Time since last notifications is 5 which is less than
notification_interval=10.  Nagios prevents notification.
[t=10] Check runs.
[t=10] Check fails.
[t=10] Time since last notification is 10 which is greater than or equal
to notification_interval=10. Nagios sends notification.

However if notification_interval=5 and normal_check_interval=10, you get
this.

[t=0] Check runs.
[t=0] Check fails.
[t=0] Nagios sends notification.
[t=10] Check runs.
[t=10] Check fails.
[t=10] Time since last notification is 10 which is greater than or equal
to notification_interval=10. Nagios sends notification.

Nagios only sends notifications immediately after a check (it won't
resend an old value).  So if normal_check_interval >=
notification_interval, you effectively have notification_interval =
normal_check_interval.  That is why Nagios prints the warning message:

"Warning: Service 'SSH' on host 'vpn-gw1-local'  has a notification
interval less than its check interval!  Notifications are only re-sent
after checks are made, so the effective notification interval will be
that of the check interval."

That seems to be what is happening in your case.

--
Rick Mohr
Systems Developer