check host alive by passive

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 23 18:52:24 CEST 2007

Maybe you need to upgrade nsca to one that supports sending host checks?
When you submit your service check, you'd also, in the same script,
submit the host check using send_nsca but use the return_code and
optionally plugin_ouput of the service for the return_code and plugin
output for the host.

Usage: ./send_nsca -H <host_address> [-p port] [-to to_sec] [-d delim]
[-c config_file]

 <host_address> = The IP address of the host running the NSCA daemon
 [port]         = The port on which the daemon is running - default is
5667
 [to_sec]       = Number of seconds before connection attempt times out.
                  (default timeout is 10 seconds)
 [delim]        = Delimiter to use when parsing input (defaults to a
tab)
 [config_file]  = Name of config file to use

Note:
This utility is used to send passive check results to the NSCA daemon.
Host and Service check data that is to be sent to the NSCA daemon is
read from standard input. Input should be provided in the following
format (tab-delimited unless overriden with -d command line argument,
one entry per line):

Service Checks:
<host_name>[tab]<svc_description>[tab]<return_code>[tab]<plugin_output>[
newline]

Host Checks:
<host_name>[tab]<return_code>[tab]<plugin_output>[newline]