Missing $NOTIFICATIONUMBER$ macro

Jeff Orr jorr at attributor.com
Tue Aug 21 23:25:04 CEST 2007

I have an odd problem with Nagios 2.9 and NRPE 2.8x. I'm wrapping check_nrpe in a script to detect socket timeouts; the script returns a WARNING instead of an UNKNOWN for the first two socket timeouts, and a CRITICAL thereafter. I'm using $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ to pass in the current notification count.

The problem is that $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ does not seem to be being passed to me script. Here is what I have in checkcommands.cfg, in which $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ gives a null value in my PERL script:

define command{
 command_name check__data_disk2
 command_line $USER1$/nrpe_wrapper -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_disk3 -S $SERVICESTATE$ -N $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$
}

At first I thought it was a problem with my code, or with GetOpt. So I changed it to this:
define command{
 command_name check__data_disk2
 command_line $USER1$/nrpe_wrapper -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_disk3 -S $SERVICESTATE$ -N 30$NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$
}

Now $notificationcount gets set to '30'. Any pointers on what I can try to get the notification # into my plugin? Nagios was compiled with all the standard options to ./configure.

Thanks,
Jeff Orr
Attributor Corporation