Error: Could not open CGI config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg' for reading!

Villem Alari villem at ekool.ee
Tue Aug 21 02:35:41 CEST 2007

I am geting this mesage in Nagios first page:

Whoops!

Error: Could not open CGI config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg'
for reading!

Here are some things you should check in order to resolve this error:

    1. Make sure you've installed a CGI config file in its proper
location. See the error message about for details on where the CGI is
expecting to find the configuration file. A sample CGI configuration
file (named cgi.cfg) can be found in the sample-config/ subdirectory
of the Nagios source code distribution.
    2. Make sure the user your web server is running as has
permission to read the CGI config file.

Make sure you read the documentation on installing and configuring
Nagios thoroughly before continuing. If all else fails, try sending a
message to one of the mailing lists. More information can be found at
http://www.nagios.org.

I can't understand why as I have done everything like it said in
installation guide. I did this /usr/sbin/groupadd nagcmd, I did that /
usr/sbin/usermod -G nagcmd www-data and also that /usr/sbin/usermod -
G nagcmd nagios. I also added to my apache2.conf that:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/nagios/sbin

<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin">
     Options ExecCGI
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
     AuthName "Nagios Access"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
     Require valid-user
</Directory>

Alias /nagios /usr/local/nagios/share

<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
     Options None
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
     AuthName "Nagios Access"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
     Require valid-user
</Directory>

What is wrong so that I can't use Nagios cgi files? I am buzzled really.

N.B.! I am using Ubuntu 7.04 server version.

Regards,
Villem Alari