negative check latency with Nagios as VM?

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Fri Aug 17 22:41:50 CEST 2007

We're testing our Nagios 2.9 implementation on a VMWare server.  This
box does have the VMWare tools installed and is running NTP to sync
time.

The performance on this box seems a bit worse, but roughly comparable to
our physical box.  (Oddly enough, Nagios restart almost instantaneously
on the VM where it takes around 20 seconds to respond to the web
interface on the physical box...)

Anyway, we'd been letting the VM Nagios server run to see what it did
and today I saw the following in the performance info screen for active
service checks:

Metric   Min.	Max.	Average
Check Execution Time:   -1.23 sec	60.08 sec	1.018 sec
Check Latency:	0.00 sec	88.99 sec	11.117 sec
Percent State Change:	0.00%	11.45%	0.05%

at one point I saw the minimum check time at -2.00 seconds.  This means
this VM is so fast that it's running checks before they're even
scheduled!  Wow!

In any case, I was concerned about this.  My biggest worry with a VM is
that it doesn't track the time well enough.  We have a number of checks
(maybe 30%?) that run at 1 minute increments and I'm wondering if they
are the only ones that run frequently enough to show this time keeping
as a problem in Nagios.

Or perhaps I'm just associating this with a VM and it's just Nagios
itself.  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Mark