Nagios best practices?

Russell Adams RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com
Tue Aug 14 02:16:59 CEST 2007

My $0.02:

   Use a text editor and version control.

   Minimize and automate as much as practical.

   Try out NACE. Make a template, setup a query to find systems to
   apply it to. Don't be the administrative bottleneck when systems
   need to be added, or they won't be. Set standards and let
   automation do the work for you.

   Make sure you have two methods for notification. Email is good,
   backup IXO/TAP/SMS via modem on POTS is better (Sendpage).

   Have a dedicated UPS on your Nagios system. Power's out,
   notifications continue.

   Use a trending (Torrus) and log monitoring (Syslog-ng & Logmuncher)
   tool in conjunction with Nagios to ensure all your bases are
   covered. Tie them in to use Nagios notification engine as needed.

   Consider using SNMP for common checks on platforms with decent
   snmpd's (Linux, Windows 2000+, AIX 5.3, etc). This saves you from
   deploying NRPE everywhere, minimizing the client side software.
   (This'll start a flame war, so I'll point out you should only use
   SNMP on an internal network and use host ACL's to confine SNMP to
   read only queries from the Nagios server and one alternate for
   upgrades. ) Check out Patrick Proy's snmp plugins,
   http://nagios.manubulon.com/ .

   Choose what you monitor and how you notify carefully. Apathy caused
   by too many off hours notifications is a real problem when that
   important message goes out. I'd suggest email for all
   notifications, but SMS only for critical services in a critical
   state.

Good luck!