Nagios best practices?

Matthew Joyce MJoyce at ccia.unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 01:57:13 CEST 2007

I think you do have the right idea except I wouldn't define templates
for each service, instead only for distinct service types.

Define Hosts
Assign Host to Hostgroups
Define Services based on Service Templates + tweaks.
Assign Services to Hostgroups
Assign Services to Servicegroups

There may always be specific scenarios where certain services are only
for specific hosts.
You have to decide whether to define a host group for a single host, I
don't.

I'm no keen on the web based config interfaces, I was scared off by the
problems I read in the forums, and the bugs in the bug trackers.  I'm
happy carving stuff from ascii.
Though, if there was a rock solid offering I might try it.

I have written a couple of scripts to help fabricate service
dependencies, useful for NRPE and SNMP dependant checks.

Also, consider using Bazaar (http://bazaar-vcs.org/) for config file
version control.
It's a breeze to setup, requires python.
After any significant changes I just run `bzr commit -m 'tweaked foo'`
and a new revision is created.

Matthew Joyce
02 9382 0051 | IT Manager | Children's Cancer Institute Australia for
Medical Research