[nagios-users] load and size of log

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sun Aug 12 21:03:40 CEST 2007

On 12/08/07, ko0nz <yesiko0nz at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'd like to have informations about monitoring: the load, the memory, the cpu...
> it's just for some 20 servers.
> i use a Debian.
> is it possible that Nagios works fine with just 20 Go of space hard
> disk, 256 Mo of RAM, with Core Duo that i use with Xen Virtualisation?
>
> and what's about the size of the log?
> do i need a lot?
> what is the speed of the size of the log?
>

> thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have run a Nagios system with Fedora Core 5 having only 250mb RAM on
a single-processor system.  It ran okay just pinging 200 or so hosts,
but I had to make sure I wasn't running anything which wasn't needed.
For example, I only ran the Gnome GUI when I felt I needed it.

I am not sure what you mean by 'the log'.  The Nagios log files
normally don't occupy much space.  How much space they occupy depends
on how many events there are, how much logging you configure Nagios to
do and how long you keep them.  I should think if you're only
monitoring 20 servers then 20gb will last you a good few years or even
decades.

Cheers,

Jim