Trap Handling Scheme

Paul Dugas paul at dugas.cc
Mon Aug 6 03:49:22 CEST 2007

I've been fiddling with services that are updated via snmptrapd and a
handler script and the mechanics are working.  I'm now running into a
bit of confusion about handling some of the traps I'm getting.  I'm
wondering of I could hear how others are using this capability.

Consider a UPS.  My APCs are generating traps when they loose main power
and when they return.  I have a handler in snmptrapd's configs that sets
that UPS's "POWER" service to "CRITICAL" and back to "OK" in response.
What happens if the power is off long enough to discharge the battery
and shutdown?  No "OK" trap.

What about all the other "pending doom" traps the UPS can send?
Temperatures, bad batteries, etc.?  Do I have a corresponding service
for every one and manually clear them when they fire?  Or, could I have
a single generic "TRAP" service that logged and send notifications for
them?

I guess I'm asking "how do I use it" instead of "how do I do it" for
SNMP trap handling.

TIA,

pd
--