Questions about Status Map

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Apr 26 20:19:32 CEST 2007

On 26/04/07, Frost, Mark {PBG} <mark.frost1 at pepsi.com> wrote:

> How do most people handle this kind of thing?

I'm fairly haphazard in my approach.  Sometimes I set up each physical
interface as a host.  If, like me, you're not too interested in the
details of the network (you only want to know enough to pass the
problem over to the network team) then I'd recommend only using the
interface(s) on the router which is/are most remote from your Nagios
server.

For example, if we have the following:

nagios---routerinterface10.1.1.3-router-routerinterface10.1.231.3---webapps

I would only bother to set up routerinterface10.1.231.3 and webapps as
hosts in Nagios.  If 10.1.1.3 goes down, Nagios will report 10.1.231.3
as 'down' and I simply pass it over to the networks team to work out
which interface/lan/wan/whatever is the problem.  The priority where
we (who are not responsible for networks) are concerned is to make
sure that Nagios tells us whether it is a host problem or a network
problem.  Also, Nagios won't bombard us with alerts for 'down' hosts
when the underlying problem is with the network.

If webapps has two interfaces, for example an internal one on
10.1.231.4 and an external one on 192.168.34.35 I would monitor both.
I would also set up another nagios server on a standard internet
connection so I can confirm that the web application page is
accessible from the internet.  In practice I do this by having a tiny
nagios server at home which polls my corporate web sites using
check_http every half hour or so (sad life I live I know).

Cheers,

Jim